Posts or Comments 21 June 2018

Us, Rosie Posie Poodle and Frank Cat Fi | 23 Aug 2010 09:04 am

Who do we think we are?

In the Maritime Museum in Hull this display traced the route our fishermen ancestors took from Brixham to Hull via Ramsgate, originally uploaded by Fi in Eden (still awaiting summer).

I have been researching the family tree for a short while and found out a bit more about my Fathers side. They were fishermen who had originated in Brixham, Devon and settled a while in Ramsgate and eventually moved around the coast to Hull to fish in the North Sea.
Jane (sis) and I took a weekend off and headed over to Hull (staying with Chrissie in N. Lincs) to find out more……

A wonderful evening on arrival with Chrissie et al and an early start to drive over the fabulous Humber Bridge and a first treat of a visit the The Deep. Love it.

We spent a bit of time on the foreshore there too, knowing now that family had been there in centuries past when they set sail into the perilous North Sea. A short walk into the city to the Market Square and Holy Trinity Church, the parish church of our ancestors before a bit of window shopping and then the main reason for our Hull visit, the Maritime Museum. Fascinating. What a surprise to find a display that actually charted the start of the Hull fishing industry and guess what – it started with West Country fishermen from Brixham (our family) and Plymouth, via Ramsgate and a fishing fleet being blown off course found the rich fishing fields which became known as the Silver Pits, so bountiful were they.

A poignant display was the beautifully presented record of the family member who was lost overboard on the Horn Reef (Danish coastal waters) in 1885 aged just 18.

By now our feet were sore and we were worn out so we jumped in a black cab back to the Deep and to pick up the car before heading north to Beverley to visit close family there.

Another late evening with Chrissie and more laughter, good company and dinner.

Sunday morning we woke early – no choice really… the carbon monoxide alarm went off and as Chrissie wandered downstairs with it to try to turn it off the phone started ringing too. So, we got up, packed up, and headed homewards. It took 6 hours to get back and, unsurprisingly, I fell asleep in the sun in the garden late afternoon.

Stumble it!

Trackback This Post | Subscribe to the comments through RSS Feed

Leave a Reply